Leo clubs are a sponsored affiliation of Lions Clubs International
that encourages young men and women to serve others in their community and around the world.
- Leo clubs are sponsored by local lions clubs and may be either school-affiliated or community based.
- Leo club activities include regular meetings, service projects & social functions.
- The Leo motto – Leadership, Experience, Opportunity – is fulfilled as members work together in response to the needs of others.
What’s in it for me?
- Leadership Experience
- Teamwork & Social Skills
- Self Esteem
- Problem Solving & Decision Making Skills
- Career Possibilities
What’s In it for the Community?
- Creates Awareness of Community Needs
- Helps Improve community and youth relationships
- Enhances community development
- Improves quality of life for recipients and givers
- Opportunity for youth to volunteer service
Typical Leos Projects
Typical Leo projects include Hearing, Environment, Citizenship, Drug Awareness, Public Service, Youth Welfare, Youth Exchange, Health, School Support, Save Sight and Spotlight on Children.
Who Benefits from Leo Clubs?
- Participation in Leo activities and projects helps young people prepare for the future by developing leadership, organizational and social skills. Members experience increased self-esteem and personal growth as they meet challenges and accept responsibilities.
- By volunteering their time and talents for the benefit of others, Leos learn firsthand the value and rewards of service. Leo club involvement can start young men and women on a lifetime of helping others.
The Sponsoring Lions Club:
- By sharing in service activities, a Leo club can increase a Lions club’s effectiveness in helping others. Leo projects within the community also contribute to a Lions club’s visibility and good reputation. Working with young people can help Lions club members experience renewed interest and enthusiasm for projects and activities. If Leos are sons or daughters of Lions, club involvement becomes a “family affair”.
Who Can Be a Leo?
Leo club membership is open to young men and women between the ages of 12 and 30. Membership is divided into two groups, the school based Leos are generally between the ages of 12 and 17 whereas the community based clubs have members aged 12 – 30. Young people of high moral standards who wish to serve others are eligible to become Leos. School administrators, Lions, friends of Lions and community leaders can provide names of potential members. Candidates may also be recruited through public announcements.
What is the Leo-Lion Relationship?
The success of a Leo club depends on a close partnership with its sponsoring Lions club. The Lions’ role is to offer support, guidance and counsel while the Leos are responsible for planning and implementing their own activities, financing their projects and maintaining the smooth operation of the club. Leos have their own club officers and constitution.
The Leo club advisor (a member of the sponsoring Lions club) serves as the chief liaison between the Leo and Lions clubs. Duties of the advisor include offering constructive suggestions to the Leos, reporting on their activities to the Lions club and promoting a cooperative relationship between the two clubs.
The Privileges of Leo Membership?
As a sponsored activity of a Lions club, Leo clubs are entitled to many services and benefits offered by Lions Clubs International. Information and club materials include new member kits, guides for service activities, leadership aids, ideas for fundraising, club supplies and international newsletters. Leos can participate in the annual Lions Clubs International Convention, attending their own functions. Leos are also entitled to receive official awards and recognition for their achievements.
Because of the international scope of Leo clubs, members enjoy the global identity of a worldwide organization. International programs such as club twinning, youth exchange and youth camps enable Leos to connect with and learn from other young people around the world.
What About School-Based Clubs?
Leo clubs can be formed in state or private schools. The supervision by the sponsoring Lions club is exercised in full cooperation with the school authorities. The Leo club is subject to the regulations and policies established for all student organizations and activities. A faculty advisor, usually a member of the school’s staff or administration, serves as a liaison between the school and Leo club. The faculty advisor also works closely with the Leo club advisor.
When you join Leos you become a member of a worldwide organisation with more than 6,391 Leo Clubs and a membership in excess of 159,775 operating under the sponsorship of Lions Clubs in 141 nations.
In Australia and Papua New Guinea there are currently over 2,660 Leos who are members of 133 Leo clubs. These Leo Clubs have proud records of Achievement in all areas of service to their local communities. All of our clubs provide ample opportunity for their members to learn and to be involved.
How Much Time will it take?
Your involvement in Leos depends on the amount of spare time you can afford.
Leo Club Objects
- To provide the youth of the world an opportunity for development and contribution, individually and collectively as responsible members of the local, national and international community.
- To stimulate among it’s members acceptance of high ethical standards.
- To develop leadership
- To provide experience through service to the community
- To provide an opportunity to promote international understanding.
Participation in the Leo Club Program enhances the lives of young people. As active community members, Leos learn the true meaning of the Leo club motto – leadership, experience and opportunity.
- Leadership – Leos develop skills as organizers, time managers, and motivators of their peers.
- Experience – Leos learn the importance of cooperation through the performance of community service.
- Opportunity – Membership in a Leo club provides young people with a chance to excel, to develop character traits, and to receive recognition for their contributions to the community.
To Join a Leos Club, is by Invitation. If you are interested in joining Armidale Dumaresq Leos Club please Contact us